Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ward Kimball original work

I recently had the fortune to purchase an original, personal painting by Ward Kimball titled " The Committee". I want to share the image with the rest of you because I really feel like a proud parent of a newborn and I feel that this painting captures an era of creative discovery from one of the dominating influences at Disney and in animation in general. I see this piece as basically the "Rosetta Stone" for Kimball, with the inclusion of the famous masters work and his fascination of inventing unique styles. Ward painted this image in the prime of his career, just before he directed the innovative and beautiful films "Melody" and "Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom". I am very excited to be the caretaker of a piece of ark work that hung in Ward's home and even though he is gone, I know his style and personality will influence animation forever. It has influenced me from the start and I can only aspire to the level of creative vision Ward has shown us.

On a personal note, I had the honor of spending a long afternoon with Ward at his home just over 10 years ago (Thanks to my talented friend of more than 12 years Joel Brinkerhoff) and remember seeing this painting hanging on the wall. Ward was a generous man and inspired me with his crazy outfits, imaginative artistic skills, amazing collections of model trains, full scale trains, old Mickey Mouse memorabilia and pre-1900's wind up toys. Ward Kimball was the proverbial child grown older and he really never grew up. I hope his legacy encourages the rest of us who endeavor in this fickle business to do the same and keep that childish fascination alive. After all, isn't that what drew us all to animation in the first place?

Take care Ward and thank you for your contributions to the art form.

The Committee, 1949
Ward Kimball 1914-2002
Oil on Masonite
24in. x 42in


click image for larger version

6 Comments:

Blogger Geritopia said...

You have a very good reason to feel like a proud parent. I've seen this painting reproduced on various occasions and I've done nothing short of meditate deeply on the thing. Just how did this opportunity fall from the sky and into your lucky clutches?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Tom Dougherty said...

Congratulations you lucky so and so! What a beautiful piece of art and a fascinating artifact to boot. Enjoy, and thanks for the big jpeg, too!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Thorny said...

Congratulations! I've had a digital version of this painting as my desktop background for ages -- it brings me much inspiration. I occassionally search the web for more info on Kimball's personal works, but haven't found more than half a dozen images.
Could anyone lead me to some deeper resources?

4:46 AM  
Blogger Joel Brinkerhoff said...

Wow Jim, good for you. It’s a beauty. Wouldn’t it be great to have one of his kinetic paintings too? I’ve bored everyone with my two week visit with Ward and Betty back in 79 but his personal art and lifestyle were very inspiring. I defiantly want to see your painting in the flesh, so to speak.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ward Jenkins said...

Wonderful baby you have there, Jim! That's very cool that you got to see it in his home, and now to have it hanging in your home just makes it all the more special. And I love Kimball's style at this time -- the colors, the interlocking shapes and forms. Simply wonderful.

Thanks for sharing it with us, Jim.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That's a fabulous painting, by a wonderful guy. And obviously it's gone to a truly good home, too-which is very important for work like this. I'm jealous, I admit it--but also very happy for you. Too too cool. : )

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home